Tuesday, April 14, 2009

thing # 22

1. Why is it important that educators know how social networking works?

I think it's important to know how social networking works, because whether we like it or not, the kids are out there using it. If we are familiar with how it should be, we can set the right example. I have had a MySpace account since I was in college, and was very hesitant to start it. Once I did, I became very, quickly, addicted. It was amazing that I could find old friends, people I worked with etc. However, I, also very quickly, noticed the "uh oh's" of MySpace. We can help protect our students and their privacy by "keeping a close eye" on what's going on, and by setting a good example of what appropriate "netiquette" is.

2. What new insights did you gain about these popular sites?

Honestly, when we started this class, and I saw that we were discussing social networking, I was surprised. Most of the educators etc. that I know are against social networking. And then there are many I know that use it as well, but they tend to be younger educators, like myself. I think that knowing that it is more widely accepted, helped me realize the importance and impact that we can make, by becoming a part of social networking, WITH our students.

3. What did you like or dislike about each of the sites you explored?

I joined Facebook back in January, so I now have the two to compare. MySpace definitely has the "appeal" you can add your own "flavor" to your page etc. However, it tends to draw a younger audience. Since, joining Facebook, I now frequent it more often. I've also noticed, I have a completely different set of "friends" that are on each network. I don't think I would be able to choose one over the other, I wish everyone would just be on one. :) I do think however, Facebook is more educator friendly, and has less chance for the "inappropriate" things you may find on MySpace, if it's not monitored correctly.

4. Which site had the most useful features?

In addition to what I said in Number 3, I love the apps available on Facebook, I play Who Has the Biggest Brain all the time.... even on my iPhone, which I can update to my Facebook......... oh, where would we be sans technology?

5.Can you see an educational application for any of these sites?

I definitely do, my first year teaching, the last month of school, I had a few of my students request me on MySpace, I was VERY, VERY hesitant to add them. However, after much deliberation, I decided too..... I'm very careful about personal information that I put out there, so I knew it was safe. It turned out to be such a great idea, I had students messaging and commenting me there, asking questions about our homework etc. I was awed. Now, that the MySpace craze has calmed down, I don't have quite the issue with students "friending" me as often, however, with the originals getting older, and more "grown up" I've deleted many of them because it makes me ill at ease to "hear" some of their conversations. It's a double edged sword I think. I'm looking forward to playing with Ning, and possibly creating a school social network, that is user friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment